To start and run a business you need to understand business terminology and acronyms: such as appreciation, FIFO, working capital, direct and variable costs…etc. You keep up to date on innovations and are able to articulate with appropriate language to colleagues and customers.
A religious researcher stated that her work revealed that most Christians, including pastors, find it difficult to articulate their faith. Research also found that the weakest “talking area” is about sin–the strongest–God is creator.
How are your communication skills? Are they better in business or faith? Here is a list that I compiled when given 19 words from a Youth Leader.
Pray for better communication skills this week.
These words are to be known and considered in Christian life and figured into daily life.
God does not call you to be successful; He calls you to be faithful,” remarked Mother Teresa. The word list was compiled by the leadership team at Baker Memorial UMC.
Go and be faithful.
- Discernment -ability to judge well; perception in the absence of judgment with a view to obtaining spiritual direction and understanding.
- Worship– show adoration for God (action); the expression of adoration or reverence for God (the act)
- Lament– an expression of sorrow or mourning;
||12, 44, 58, 60, 74, 79, 80, 83, 85, 89*, 90, 94, 123, 126, 129
||3, 4, 5, 7, 9-10, 13, 14, 17, 22, 25, 26, 27*, 28, 31, 36*, 39, 40:12-17, 41, 42-43, 52*, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 59, 61, 64, 70, 71, 77, 86, 89*, 120, 139, 141, 142
- Grace– unmerited favor of God (free)
- Mercy– compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one’s power to punish or harm. Attribute of God
- Salvation– deliverance from sin; brought to us through faith in Jesus, sent by the the Father, by dying on the cross
- Sin- What separates you from God
A definition of sin is doing what is wrong or not doing what is right according to God’s rules (1 John 3:4). If God says “Do not lie” and you lie, then you have sinned. If God says “Do not steal” and you steal, then you have sinned. According to God, sin separates you from Him (Isaiah 59:2).
- Judgment– Final judgment cannot be avoided. We are told, ““it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). The apostle John recorded some details of the final judgment. “As God the Son, Jesus Christ will be the judge” (John 5:22) More in Revelation (Rev. 20:11-15)
God will be perfectly just and fair (Acts 10:34; Galatians 3:28).
God cannot be deceived (Galatians 6:7).
God cannot be swayed by any prejudices, excuses or lies (Luke 14:16-24).
As for now, we must use good judgment. “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” Luke 6:31
- Holy– Set Apart; Special to the Lord; upright; sinless
- Sacred- dedicated to a religious purposes; holy; of God, not the world
- Gospel– The revelation of Christ; The record of Jesus’ life; Good news!
- Evangelize– To declare your faith to someone; to talk about, live and work your faith in everyday life
- Disciple– follower of Jesus; someone who loves Jesus and is devoted; learns and lives with their life in step with Jesus
14.Trinity – God as three persons: Father, Son, Holy Spirit –united as one God
*Holy Spirit is sometimes called Holy Ghost
The Bible speaks of the Father as God (Philippians 1:2), Jesus as God (Titus 2:13), and the Holy Spirit as God (Acts 5:3-4).
All distinct from the other:
Father sent the Son into the world (John 3:16)
The Son returned to the Father (John 16:10)
The Father and Son sent the Holy Spirit into the world (John 14:26;Acts 2:33)
The essence of salvation, according to Wesley, is “the happy and holy communion which the faithful have with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost” (Sermon 77, “Spiritual Worship”).
- Wesleyan- The Scripture Way of Salvation, per John Wesley: Justification by Faith
Prevenient grace: Grace that goes before
Justifying/saving grace: assurance of forgiveness (comes from repenting or turning towards God and saying “I need a savior because I sin)
Sanctifying grace: Grace perfecting us
As United Methodist we use: Scripture, Tradition, Reason, Experience
- Prayer– Communication with God; “God does nothing except in response to BELIEVING prayer.” John Wesley
“There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God. Those only can comprehend it who practice and experience it; yet I do not advise you to do it from that motive. It is not pleasure which we ought to seek in this exercise; but let us do it from a principle of love, and because God would have us.” –Brother Lawrence, The Practice of the Presence of God.
17.Stewardship– to manage or look after someone’s property; John Wesley’s principles: 1. Gain all you can 2. Save all you can 3. Give all you can
18.Truth– Jesus Christ
19. Journey– What faith takes you on